You depend on your HVAC system to keep your Bay Area home comfortable all year round, but it can’t do that effectively, economically, or safely if it’s not running properly and at its peak efficiency. Heating and air conditioning systems involve high-voltage electrical circuits and complex machinery, and many problems require the repair and maintenance services of an HVAC professional. But there are several simple maintenance tasks you can perform yourself to keep your system operating at its best.
Nine Easy HVAC Maintenance Tips For Homeowners
- Change your air filters – A clogged filter will make your system work harder, thus wearing out faster and raising your utility bills. How often you need to replace your filter depends on factors such as whether your home has smokers or pets. A general rule is once a month or so, but possibly more often if it’s a dusty environment.
- Keep the outdoor unit clear and clean – Your condensing unit needs to have an unobstructed airflow to work correctly. Trim bushes, grass and shrubs away from the unit and keep the vents clear of debris.
- Clean the condensate drain line – If this line gets clogged, it can cause a system failure. If you don’t know where it is, check the owner’s manual or ask your local professional. You’ll want to occasionally unhook the line and pour some vinegar or bleach into it to clean out built-up sediments.
- Clean the indoor unit – Although it doesn’t get dirty as quickly and easily as the outdoor unit, it needs to be dusted and inspected for debris occasionally.
- Watch for leaks – If you notice any fluid leaking or puddling around your units, or air leaking from a loose ductwork seam, contact your local HVAC contractor for inspection and repair.
- Check your pilot flame – The flame in your furnace should be blue and clear if combustion is happening properly. If it’s orange or yellow, you should have it inspected by a technician.
- Monitor your utility bills – Sudden spikes in energy usage could be a sign of HVAC problems.
- Prevent outside drafts – Sealing your doors and windows prolongs the life of your system and keeps bills low by keeping it from having to work harder.
- Yearly inspection and tune-up – Having your HVAC professional conduct an annual checkup will keep your system running smoothly and safely.
A1 Heating & Cooling, we have a Service Protection Plan available to ensure your HVAC system’s longevity. We’ll schedule regular system assessments and diagnose any issues. The best part? You’re guaranteed an appointment in as little as 24 hours, 365 days per year. Your comfort is our No. 1 goal!